Thursday, June 14, 2012

Welcome, and THANKS for being here!

Hey guys, as promised, welcome to the I'm a Gamer Girl blog!

Naturally, the big thing everyone is still talking about is E3 - namely Nintendo's big failure at E3.  I have to admit, while I'm more interested in the WiiU now than I was before the show, they could have done a better job with their presentation.  Ending with NintendoLand instead of say... ZombieU was not their best move, since not many people really understood what NintendoLand was all about.  While I think that it sounds fun for casual and social gamers, Nintendo would have been better served by pandering to the core audience a bit. Their biggest failure, though, was the game line up they chose to show.  Instead of showcasing some third party games that are coming to WiiU in the future, they decided to go with titles that will be available at or at least close to launch. The problem with that is most of the games they showcased are or will be already out on other consoles. Not exactly the way to drum up interest or excitement.

In addition to Nintendo specifically many people seemed to feel that E3 was just fairly weak as a whole this year. I'm not sure I agree with that completely.  I think the feeling of disappointment is due more to the fact that so much rumor-mongering has been going on in the video game press about the next generation of consoles gamers just kind of assumed that some of those questions would be answered at E3. The fact of the matter is Sony and Microsoft simply aren't at a point where they can do that yet. Game developers are still only just beginning to take a look at software dev kits, and it seems like Ubisoft is the only developer that really has a handle on what they're going to be capable of making for these new consoles.  Unfortunately we'll have to wait for press releases later this year, and next year's E3 for the big reveals.

Speaking of Ubisoft - talk about winning E3!!  Watch_Dogs totally got my girl rocks off and I am seriously tingling in anticipation for this game.  It's also the one game I'm SERIOUSLY disappointed that wasn't showcased for WiiU because I think the WiiU's second screen would be PERFECT for this game. As excited as I was for more Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell and Call of Duty, Watch_Dogs made all that seem to pale in comparison.  I have a passion for technology and to see a game that uses technology that exists today in ways that are possible in the modern world, and to have that technology play a central role in the gameplay... I wanted to shout "finally a game that feels like it's made JUST FOR ME".  I'll have more on Watch_Dogs in a future post, you can be sure.

That wraps it up for this post, gamers. Leave me comments letting me know your thoughts, as well as what you'd like to see from this blog specifically.

Keep Calm
and
Play Hard

No comments:

Post a Comment